Friday 2 August 2013

Can you sign my Kindle?

Last week I talked about my recent evening at a book signing for Alastair Reynolds’ new Dr Who novel.  It has got my thinking about these events in general and the affect they will experience due to the explosion in E-Readers and downloadable books.

Now I will be honest, it will be difficult to be subjective on the whole notion of E-Readers, due to me loving books.  I love flicking through them, I love the feel, I love the smell of them and due to being a bit of a book snob, I love showing them off on my book shelf to any visitors to my house.

From someone who loves his Ipod, this may be strange to grasp; I have no issue with my music on a small sterile piece of electronics and a lot of music fans have the same feelings on Ipods as I do with E-Readers.  However, I can buy both the physical music and then transfer it onto my Ipod via my laptop – I can’t plug a book into the laptop to do the same!  Maybe this could be a new marketing tool for Amazon to up their sales of Kindles – purchase a book and you will also get a free “download” of it to the Kindle, meaning people will get the best of both worlds - the ease and convenience of the E-Reader, but also the actual physical book for their shelves and to experience the book in all its glory. 

Going back to my original point though, books will always have a place as long as writers wish to hold events in book stores, showcasing their latest literary work and interacting with their audience.  It would be amusing if someone came to an event like this with their E-Reader and asked for it to be signed due to the writers’ latest work being on it!


As someone trying to become a published writer, I hope one day to be in a position to have a book signing event at a local book store, so hope the E-Reader doesn't force the book to go the way of the audio cassette!  But I doubt it as I am sure there are enough people out there who still prefer the humble book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment