Thursday 8 August 2013

Peter Capaldi- the 12th Doctor

Now the dust has settled on the big announcement on BBC1 last Sunday, I will talk about the unveiling of the 12th Doctor Who (well 13th if John Hurt REALLY is a “between” Doctor from the Time War). 

For me and other Dr Who fans, this is one of the biggest acting jobs in TV and comparable to the James Bond and even Superman gigs.  The actor in the role must almost live the role and with a nine month filming schedule each year, this isn't far from the truth!

Every fan has “their” doctor, the one they grew up with or relate to the most.  For me, this should be the doctor who was on TV when you’re at that age where you’re old enough to understand what is going on, but young enough to still feel a bit scared and look at that sofa as a great hiding spot.  For me that would be Sylvester McCoy.  Although I have vague memories of watching Colin Baker, it was the 7th Doctor where I became a fan, tuning every episode to watch.  Just a shame it came late in the initial 26 season run and was cancelled when I was 9.

During the next few years, I started to become almost obsessed, reading novel adaptations of old adventures, that I hired from the library, and buying videos – I was even in the Dr Who Appreciated Society!  But by the time of the 1996 BBC America TV movie my interest was beginning to wane a little as, and I hate to admit this now, went off science fiction and discovered other TV and movie interests.  Looking back I suppose I grew up a little and didn't have the same sense of wonder for the dodgy special effects and sets!

Then a few years later in 2005, it was announced that Dr Who was returning for a new series created by Russell T Davis who I knew had created the cult classic “Queer as Folk” – a show I never watched (I was more of a “This Life” fan) and the excellent “The Second Coming”; a contemporary look at the second coming of Jesus Christ staring Christopher Eccleston, a mini series I really enjoyed and only last week came in to my mind as a great piece of writing I would love to see again.

Christopher Eccleston was announced as the new Doctor, an actor I had been a huge fan of from his roles in “Our Friends in the North”, “Shallow Grave”, “Gone in 60 seconds” and the aforementioned “Second Coming”.  It was interesting to see how the serious but versatile actor would do with the role.

But a strange thing happened, I wasn't that bothered about it.  I almost missed the first episode “Rose”.  I think I was still unsure of the show.  After watching, more out of curiosity, I was very impressed and pleased I watched it.  Billie Piper was actually very good as his new companion and Christopher Eccleston was a revelation as The Doctor, playing a darker more intense Doctor, but still having the childlike excitement over life in a vast Universe – his use of the word “fantastic” was a great touch.  The series had vastly improved effects and a long running story arc that kept the viewer gripped.  The writing was superb, with the return of the Doctors’ fiercest nemesis in the poignant “Dalek” in which we actually feel a little sorry for the lonely dalek with no orders to follow and no purpose in life, a particular highlight.

Unfortunately the end of the series had a dark cloud over it when Eccleston unfortunately decided to leave after one series, fearing becoming typecast.  The final episode would climax with regeneration.  His replacement was to be David Tennant, and actor I had no real history with having not watched his big breakthrough “Casanova” and having also only gotten into Harry Potter after he was in Dr Who.  His Doctor though was a joy, bringing a feel of an older and wiser man in a youthful body.  His enthusiasm and energy was none stop, but my favorite part of his take on The Doctor was when he became judgmental.  He would always give the villain(s) a second chance to stop what they were doing or redeem themselves and if they didn’t then game over.  Over his three seasons and set of specials he became my favorite Doctor.  Russell T Davis’ run was brilliant in this period, with some very emotional moments – anybody who didn't have a tear running down their cheek when Rose is trapped in the parallel universe or Donna Noble gains immense powers that will kill her and then has to have her memory wiped so she never remembers her life with him, are not human.

Inn fact when I was announced he was leaving, I was genuinely sorry to see him go.  The moment leading up to his regeneration and the actual regeneration was very emotional (poor Wilf!) and the acting from Tennant inspiring.

His replacement Matt Smith seemed a strange choice at first – he’s too young and barely over puberty were the initial thoughts.  But within minutes of his first episode and the eating of fish fingers with custard, I knew they had someone special in the role.    New head of the show was Steven Moffat who had worked as a writer on the show previously stamped his own ideas on the show with more far out story arks and ideas.  Some fans were confused and disappointed but during all, this Matt Smith was another revelation in the role, carrying on Tennants’ “old mind in a young body” boundless energy but adding a more quirky nature, bordering on a bumbling eccentric like personality.   When the rumors started that he may be leaving after three years, I thought he had at least one more in him, but the nine month filming schedule must get too hard after a while.

So the rumors of his replacement started.  At the time I wanted “Sherlock” actor Benedict Cumberbatch as I felt he would be superb in the role but it was clear after playing Khan in the recent Star Trek movie, this was never going to happen.  Other favourites were Rory Kinnear who based on his role in James Bond didn't fill me with great confidence (not knocking him as an actor, just seemed too straight laced and not far out enough).  There was even talk of a black Dr Who or even a woman.  Both of these would have felt like being very politically correct and not simply because a black actor or an actress were the best available people for the role.

Last week it was announced that as part of a live special the following Sunday we would find out who it was.  Suddenly from no where “Thick of It” actor Peter Capalid became the bookies favorite.  An actor who had appeared in a Tennant episode and the spin off series “Torchwood”, was an older actor who I admit to not knowing much about, having never seen “Thick of it”.  But I was excited by the prospect.

Of course it could have been one huge smokescreen, designed to throw people of the sent.  But for once, the bookies actually were right and he was announced.  At 55 and only a few months younger than the first Doctor Willam Hartnell when he started in the first episode, Capaldi will be the second oldest actor to play him.  After a few seasons of gentle flirting between a young hip Doctor and his female companions, it will make a change to have an older gent, who will be more of a father/uncle figure without being too creepy.  It comes to be seen how he will play him, but I see him being a little more serious, quieter and darker as he technically nears the end of his life (in Dr Who mythology this should be his last but one regeneration).

Of course not everybody is happy, with many people slating his age and saying he’s too old.  This has led me to believe there are actually people out there who believe the show was created by Russell T Davis in 2005! 


But everybody should give him a chance – as I said earlier, Matt Smith was too young in a lot of people eyes, but became a very popular Doctor.

One last question?  Will Steven Moffat resist to urge to call the Christmas episode that Matt regenerates in to the 12th Doctor, "Twelfth Night"?  

No comments:

Post a Comment